Monday, November 12, 2012

Dividend Growth

I have something like 54 dividend paying stocks in my portfolio. It is not as bad as it sounds, my top 5 stocks are 30% of my portfolio and my top 20 are 75%. I am putting any new money into new stocks and buying some dividend paying small caps and such.

Anyway, what I wanted to point out is that in July and August of this year, no stock I had raised their dividends. This is very unusual for my portfolio. I had two stocks raise their dividends in September (Calian Technologies Ltd (TSX-CTY) and Saputo Inc. (TSX-SAP). October was better with dividend raises from AltaGas Ltd. (TSX-ALA), BCE (TSX-BCE), TECSYS (TSX-0TCS), and Toronto Dominion Bank (TSX-TD).

The thing is, is that I think that my 5 year median dividend increase is coming down. It used to be 12% to 15% per year. Last year my 5 year median dividend increase was 11%. Currently it is running at 9%.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. See my website for stocks followed and investment notes. Follow me on Twitter or StockTwits.

No comments:

Post a Comment