Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Something to Buy September 2014

There is always something to buy in the stock market. On Monday, I put out a list of the stocks that I covered and showed what stock might be a good deal based on dividend yield. Now I am trying to categorize what sorts of stocks may be a good deal based on dividend yield.

Categorizing stocks is not as simple as it might seem. Every site you go to has categorized stocks a bit differently. I try to keep this as simple as possible. See my spreadsheet at here. As in other spreadsheets, you can highlight a line or a number of lines for better viewing.

Of the consumer discretionary stocks, Canadian Tire Corp (TSX-CTC.A, OTC-CDNAF) is still looking cheap. Also, Thomson Reuters Corp (TSX-TRI, NYSE-TRI, LSE-TRIL) is showing up as cheap this month. A number of Consumer Staple stocks seem to be cheap. Examples would be Dorel Industries Inc. (TSX-DII.B; OTC-DIIBF), Jean Coutu Group Inc. (TSX-PJC.A, OTC-JCOUF), Metro Inc. (TSX-MRU, OTC-MTRAF), and Saputo Inc. (TSX-SAP; OTC-SAPIF).

Under Health Care, both the companies I found are showing as cheap. These are Johnson and Johnson (NYSE-JNJ) and Medtronic Inc. (NYSE-MDT).

Of the Real Estate Stocks that I follow only Granite REIT (TSX-GRT.UN; NYSE-GRP.U) is showing as cheap.

Some of the banks still seem to be cheap. These would be National Bank of Canada (TSX-NA, OTC-NTIOF), and Royal Bank of Canada (TSX-RY, NYSE-RY) that are looking cheap.

There are some in financial services that deserve to be cheap, like AGF Management Ltd (TSX-AGF.B, OTC-AGFMF). My list also shows that on a historical average basis CI Financial Corp (TSX-CIX, OTC-CIFAF), IGM Financial Inc. (TSX-IGM, OTC-IGIFF) and Power Corp (TSX-POW, OTC-PWCDF) are currently cheap.

For insurance companies, only Power Financial Corp. (TSX-PWF, OTC-POFNF) is showing as cheap.

There are a few cheap Industrial stocks like Bombardier Inc. (TSX-BBD.B, OTC-BDRAF), Pason Systems Inc. (TSX-PSI, OTC-PSYTF), PFB Corp. (TSX-PFB, OTC-PFBOF) and SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. (TSX-SNC, OTC-SNCAF). Others are cheap for a reason, like Hammond Power Solutions Inc. (TSX-HPS.A, OTC-HMDPF) and Transcontinental Inc. (TSX-TCL.A, OTC-TCLAF).

There are not many companies cheap in the Tech sector except for small companies like Calian Technologies Ltd. (TSX-CTY, OTC-CLNFF) and Evertz Technologies Ltd. (TSX-ET; OTC-EVTZF).

A number of energy stocks also seem cheap. Examples are Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. (TSX-CNQ, NYSE-CNQ); Canadian Oil Sands Ltd. (TSX-COS, OTC-COSWF), Cenovus Energy Inc. (TSX-CVE, NYSE-CVE), Ensign Energy Services Inc. (TSX-ESI, OTC-ESVIF) and Suncor Energy Inc. (TSX-SU, NYSE-SU).

The infrastructure type utility companies are not cheap. The only utility that is coming up cheap is Just Energy Group Inc. (TSX-JE, NYSE-JE).

Of the Telecom Stocks BCE Inc. (TSX-BCE, NYSE-BCE) and Shaw Communications Inc. (TSX-SJR.B, NYSE-SJR) seem on the cheap side. I think that Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (TSX-MBT, OTC-MOBAF) and WiLan Inc. (TSX-WIN, NASDAQ-WILN) are cheap for a good reason.

On my other blog I am today writing about ATCO Ltd. (TSX-ACO.X, OTC-ACLLF) ... continue...

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment