Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Sample Portfolio

One thing that people have mention is that they would like to see a sample dividend growth portfolio. I have made one up on a spreadsheet that can also be used to determine how much to allocate to each stock. See my spreadsheet at sampleportfolio.htm.

In the spreadsheet you can put in Total Fund (Amount for investment. I am assuming $200,000 in my spreadsheet). You need to get updated shares costs and dividend information before you begin. The Globe and Mail website is a good place to get this information. Put in your commission rate in top box of "Comm"of column J. Here I am assuming $9.99 which is a common amount.

Under the column of Shares Possible (G), it will say approximately how many shares you can purchase for Total Fund divided by number of stocks. Then you will manually enter into the spreadsheet in the "Share Pur"(column H) a number close to the number shares of column G. Shares can only be purchased in lots of 100. You can play around with the share number until you get an amount total at the end of column K that is close to but less than your fund amount.

This portfolio has 15 stocks and they are all dividend growth ones. The following is the list of companies I have chosen for my sample portfolio:
  • Bank of Nova Scotia (TSX-BNS)
  • BCE Inc. (TSX-BCE
  • Canadian Tire A (TSX-CTC.A)
  • CDN National Railway (TSX-CNR)
  • Emera Inc. (TSX-EMA)
  • Fortis Inc. (TSX-FTS)
  • Manulife Financial (TSX-MFC)
  • Metro Inc. (TSX-MRU)
  • Pembina Pipeline (TSX-PPL)
  • Power Corp. (TSX-POW
  • RioCan (REI.UN)
  • Saputo Inc. (TSX-SAP)
  • SNC-Lavalin Group (TSX-SNC)
  • TD Bank (TSX-TD)
  • TransCanada Corp. (TSX-TRP)
This spreadsheet only holds stocks that are Financials, Utilities, Consumer, Industrial or REITs. When I was starting out I did not invest in any resource stocks. Even now only 1% to3% of the portfolio is in resource stocks.

If you want a copy of my spreadsheet, just email me.

On my other blog I am today writing about Enghouse Systems Ltd. (TSX-ESL, OTC- EGHSF) ... continue...

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment