Wednesday, March 18, 2015

REIT Investing

There are some good sites that provide information on REIT investing. The Which Mortgage site talks about how REITs are taxed and how to pick out a REIT for your portfolio. They also discuss buying REITs compared to individual investment properties and Private REITs.

This article from the Globe and Mail is from 2012, but tax on REIT distributions have not changed. The article discusses how the different parts of the distributions from REITs are taxed. All the REITs have tax information on their web sites.

The Shareowner site also has a good article on investing in REITs. Among other topics, it discusses common measurements of a REITs performance; include FFO, AFFO and NAV.

KPMG Canada has a very interesting presentation PDF which compares US and Canadian REITs. It is available here. This presentation includes such topics of the REIT history, what REITs can and cannot invest in, distributions and taxes.

The Canadian Institute of Public and Private Real Estate Companies (CIPREC) has a good report on REITs and why Canadians should invest in them. It talks about why you should invest in them and how they are structured for stability. They also discuss the different types of REITs.

On my other blog I am today writing about H & R Real Estate Trust (TSX-HR.UN, OTC- HRUFF) ... continue...

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment