Thursday, June 15, 2017

Investing Easy

Investing does not have to be difficult. I know that some ad try to say that doing it on your own is difficult and hard, but it does not have to be. Look around you and what do you see. There are big companies that you could invest in with little difficulty. Basically invest in big companies that pay dividends.

Invest in some of the big banks like Royal Bank or TD Bank. Invest in some of the big retailers like Canadian Tire that seem to be doing well. However, say away from department stores that do not seem to be doing well. The utilities of Enbridge Inc. and Emera Inc. are in the news. One is a pipeline and one produces power.

Look at lists of under the various sectors put out by the TSX. If you cannot get into the index from above link go to the TSX Main Link. Go with companies where you recognize by name. The TSX also has a Dividend Aristocrat Index. (You will have to scroll down their list of indexes to get to this one.) Again go with a company you recognize.

Probably the best investment new letter is The Investment Reporter which you can find here. You can often get an initial deal on this investment letter. They will also send you a free newsletter which might also help you. Also, stay away from any investment letter that promises too much. I mean the ones that promise high returns quickly or high dividend yields. Only the people who sell these investment letters get rich, you will not.

Investing in stocks is not a get rich quick investment. If you want to get rich investing it is takes a while. You need to get compounding working for you. Buy stocks when you can and reinvest your dividends. You can bit by bit build up a portfolio that is producing money for you.

The other important point is that you do not panic, especially when we hit a bear market. There are going to be bear markets. It is more important to track dividends paid rather than the stock price. For most stocks, they will continue to pay dividends and some even increase them in bear markets. So focus on dividends not stock price.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Power Corp of Canada (TSX-POW, OTC-PWCDF)... learn more. Tomorrow, I will write about Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp (TSX-AQN, NTSE-AQN)... learn more on Friday, June 16, 2017 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment