Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Montreal Gazette Portfolio

I wrote about the Montreal Gazette Portfolio in August 2016 and I thought I would revisit it again. I am disappointed to see that the portfolio has been discontinued in November 30 2016. However, I wondered how the stocks would have fared going forward today.

As far as I can see the portfolio is worth about the same today (April 8, 2018) as it was when I last looked at the valuations on November 30, 2016. Then it was worth $824,087and today it is $ $798,188.39. This is 3.14% lower or down my 2.34% per year.

However, I must note that the portfolio in November 30 2016 had $ $12,482 in cash. Included in my calculations also is the selling of Canam Group in July 2017 for $12.30 a share or for $53,615.70 as this company was taken private. Also included in my calculations is that between November 30, 2016 and April 8, 2018 the portfolio would have received some $18,830.45 in dividend income. See my spreadsheet here.

Between November 2016 and April 2018 Stella Jones (SJ) remained the same. Between these dates the following stocks when up in value:

Lumenpulse (LMP)
CN Railway (CNR)
CGI Group (GIB.A) and
Boralex (BLX)

The following stocks declined.

Couche-Tard (ATD.B)
Laurentian Bank (LB)
Quebecor (QBR.B)
Mediagrif (MDF)
Uni-Select (UNS)

Fiera Capital (FSZ)
Industrial Alliance (IAG)
Heroux-Devtek (HRX) and
SNC-Lavalin (SNC)

Here is the link to the August 8, 2017 article in the gazette which talks about the valuation for July 2016. Here is the link to the December 12, 2016 article which talks about the November 30, 2016 valuation. Here is the link to the December 12, 2016 article which calls the end to this portfolio.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Leon's Furniture Ltd. (TSX-LNF, OTC-LEFUF)... learn more. Next, I will write about Barrick Gold Corp (TSX-ABX, NYSE-ABX)... learn more on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment