Thursday, September 27, 2018

Money Show 2018 – Steven Hawkins

Steven Hawkins spoke in the opening remarks. His talk was called “Canadian ETF Outlook”. He is the President and co-CEO of Horizons ETSs. His site is here.

What is new in ETFs is Exchange Traded Bonds and Zero Cost ETFs. Horizons is the first and larges manager of ETFs in Canada. They efficiently track indices, currencies, commodities, and global themes. They have tactical ETFs designed for sophisticated investors (for short term investing). Horizons has 10.7B in Assets under Management (AUM).

There is global ETF growth and it is a 5T industry. There has been a big inflow into Canadian ETFs over the past 5 years. The ETFs are destroying Mutual Funds. ETFs are more diversified and cheaper. ETFs are innovated and the industry is maturing and growing. They are providing exciting new ETFs. There has been growth in ETF providers from 4 to 30 in Canada with now over 700 ETFs.

Canadians have been paying the highest fees in the world for Mutual Funds. The key ETF trends is to reduce Management Fees. The news trend is to zero fees for ETFs. These ETFs invest in other ETFs that have fees. Fees in Canada is 0.35% and in US fees are 0.10%. Canadian banks now have active ETFs with lower fees than for Mutual Funds.

A current trend is to thematic investing into such things are Robotics, Blockchains, AI, Ethical, Diversity and Marijuana. Current tend is into actively managed ETFs.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Great-West Lifeco Inc. (TSX-GWO, OTC-GWLIF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. (TSX-GS, OTC-GLUSF) ... learn more on Friday, September 28, 2018 around 5 pm

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment