Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Energy and Pollution

We will get off oil and gas at some point, but it may take longer than you might think. There will be a tipping point when the use of oil and gas will be over. However, no one knows when this will happen. If you read history, you will see that changes in the use of wood and animal power to coal to oil and gas did happen, but these ways of providing us with power lasted a long time.

Renewable energy might be the way of the future, but I personally I thought and still think that we should have gone from coal and oil to gas to immediately low our of pollution level. But make no mistake, we need to get to renewable energy and we will at some point.

The other pollution I am very concerned about is the pollution of our water, especially the ocean. One of the quickest and easiest things we can do is stop dropping garbage in the streets. When I grew up in Toronto there was no street trash bins and no garbage in the street. Now trash cans are all over the place but so is street garbage. It is hard to describe how stupid this is.

Electric cars will clean up the air in cities, but oil is used more in shipping and in airplanes. Another problem is batteries. They involve very toxic products. They are bad for the environment when making and disassembly (or in the disposing of). We need to invent better batteries.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Barrick Gold Corp (TSX-ABX, NYSE-ABX) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Pembina Pipelines Corp (TSX-PPL, NYSE-PBA) ... learn more on Wednesday, April 17, 2019 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment