Thursday, May 16, 2019

Teaching my Son to Read

My son was not learning how to read. I even had him put into a special class so that he would learn to read. This was to no avail. It was increasing obvious that my son was not going to learn to read at school. We lived downtown Toronto, and the school he went to was considered a good one. His school was part of the Toronto School Board.

Looking online, it was suggested that I use limited vocabulary books. The US seems to produce a lot of these limited vocabulary books. I got several of these, but my son found the stories rather boring. In a toy store I came across some books from England. They had some very interesting stories and characters in them.

My son loved the stories. Another thing that my son loved about them was that I read one page and he read the next and so on. My side was the most complex and so the stories could be interesting. To start, his side was a big picture and few words. As we progressed with these books my son’s reading side go more complex with small pictures and more words.

From anything I have read, our kids are not learning how to read well. There have been stories that I have read complaining about the low literacy rates of students entering into Canadian colleges and universities.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Hammond Power Solutions Inc (TSX-HPS.A, OTC-HMDPF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Mullen Group Ltd (TSX-MTL, OTC-MLLGF) ... learn more on Friday, May 17, 2019 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment