Thursday, July 11, 2019

Boring Investing

If you do not find investing in stocks boring, then you are probably doing it wrong. You are probably using the stock market to gamble and that is not investing. I think proper investing is buying shares in good companies and holding on to them. This can be boring, but you can make money.

I was reminded of this when someone asked me about investing in marijuana stock when they are not an investor. They thought that it would be a good investment opportunity. Investing in this industry at this time is just a crapshoot. Who knows what stocks will be the winner? Investing in the next big thing is more like gambling, not investing.

As with all gambling you hear of people winning big in the stock market and some people do. However, with all gambling there are a lot of people who miss out. Where the small investor or retail investor really losses, is when there is a bear market, they panic and sell. If you have good solid companies that you have bought stock of, you do not need to do this. You can hold your shares because like bull markets, bear markets do not last forever.

What sort of thing am I doing? I am investing in cheese via Saputo Inc (TSX-SAP, OTC-SAPIF) rather than in weed, or bitcoin. Saputo not only has revenue, but it also, more importantly has earnings.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Empire Company Ltd (TSX-EMP.A, OTC-EMLAF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Morneau Shepell Inc (TSX-MSI, OTC-MSIXF) ... learn more on July 12, 2019 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment