Monday, October 20, 2014

World Money Show Review

I spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday of last week at the World Money Show. I quite enjoyed myself and learned quite a lot. I want to briefly talk about the good, bad and interesting of this convention.

First I would talk about the good. The Money Saver Magazine had most of Saturday booked for a number of different presentations. I went to 5 of their 6 presentations. They were all excellent and informative. Two of the presenters gave out books they had written. I will be blogging about these presentations later.

An interesting thing I noticed was in presentations about resources. I was in a presentation on resources given by a bunch of old guys and they were talking about solar energy replacing coal and oil. I went to a presentation on resources given by a bunch of young guys and they were talking about coal staying around for quite a while still. They did not seem to think it would start to be replaced until at least 2030.

Now I shall talk about the worse presentation. This was one was called "The Globe and Mail's view of the Economy and Markets". The presenter Paul Waldie talked vaguely on how well the Globe and Mail was doing with trying to get people to subscribe online for about 10 minutes and then opened the presentation up for a Q&A. I will not be blogging about this presentation later because there is really nothing to blog about. This was in high and very sharp contrast to the presentation at the end by David Wyss who gave a fascinating talk at the end of the show on the same subject. I realize that Paul Waldie is not an economist, but really?

On my other blog I am today writing about Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. (TSX-GS, OTC-GLUSF) ... continue...

This blog is meant for educational purposes only, and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. Follow me on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. I love it when you report back to your readers about the Money Show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy these blogs. The show is often fun.

      Delete