Thursday, September 26, 2019

Money Show 2019 – Nick Bontis

Nick Bontis spoke in the opening remarks. His talk was called “Investing in High-Tech Achievement”. He is a Director at Harvest Portfolio Group. His site is here and his company’s site is here.

He said that first, the family is important, but we have no work/family balance. He said that most Canadians only have a 3.5% exposure to high tech in their portfolios. The Internet Usage in 1995 was 5%, in 1998 it was 25% and today it is 91%. In 1999 the internet had 30M users. In 2019 the figure is 4.2B. According to ICANN there is 2128 IP addresses.

Scandinavian counties have the highest internet penetration because they have 100% literacy rates. In Canada we have 3.5 TV per household and 8.1 IP enabled devises. There are approximately 7.5B people in the world and there are 4.2B online. The average person gets 84 emails each day. He said we in Canada and in the English speaking world suffer from Anglophonic arrogance.

The internet of things is coming. Soon you will get an email from your car that says you need gas and where the closes one is. You frig will email you and say you are out of milk and I heard from your car you are getting gas near an A&P store, so you can stop for milk on the way and cc to your car. Then you get an email from Holt Renfrew says that the jacket you liked in your size is in the store. You have enough points to get it and I have just heard from your car that you will be passing our store so if you stop and roll down your window, the concierge will hand you the jacket. This is the future.

The future is all Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google. The Tesla car is going to be self-driving. Amazon will be into fresh food. There will be a blimp in the sky with fresh food and it will be delivered from the blimp to you via a drone.

Microsoft is creating a smart house. Your smart toilet will send emails to you. Your watch, by Samsung or Apple will know everything about you.

Harvest has Tech Achievers Growth and Income ETFs which are on the TSX with symbols of HTA and HTA.U.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Granite REIT (TSX-GRT.UN, NYSE-GRP.U) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Le Chateau Inc (TSX-CTU, OTC-LCUAF) ... learn more on September 27, 2019 around 5 pm..

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment