Thursday, October 10, 2019

Money Show 2019 – Michael Cooke

Michael Cooke spoke in the opening remarks part of the Money Show. His talk was called “Past, Present and Future of the Global ETF Industry”. He is the senior vice president and head of Exchange Traded Funds for Mackenzie Investments. His company’s site is here.

Canada had the first ETF in 1990. Next was the SPX in 1993 and it is the largest. Growth in last decade represents all geographies. There are 7,000 ETFs worldwide. Both Institutions (like the Bank of Japan, Teaches Pension) and Individuals use ETS. 70% of stocks in ETFs are US. ETFs are relatively new to Japan. ETFs have local people running them. Canada is ahead of the curve in ETFs. There is great penetration in Canada.

ETFs used broadly by institutions and individuals. ETFs can serve as an active tool in investment portfolios. You can get proper asset class management with ETFs. When looking at ETFs costs, look at the net returns, not the fee. No or low fee ETFs may not give good returns.

What matters to investors when they select an ETF is liquidity and trading volume. Access and exposure are also important with ETFs. The ETF market is an efficient market. Costs are important but only when it produces good net returns. Look at the total cost of your investment. ETFs are the most innovative market today.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Trigon Metals Inc (TSX-TM, OTC-PNTZF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Canadian Pacific Railway (TSX-CP, NYSE-CP) ... learn more on Friday, October 11, 2019 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment