Thursday, February 13, 2020

Baby Boomers Investors

I read Jared Dillian article on Baby Boomers investors. See the article here. I can tell you why I did not invest in the big bond market. The gain in this market would be all capital gains. I was always looking for income.

Investing in bonds in this bond bull market would provide smaller and smaller returns as interest rates dropped. If you bought and sold bonds in the open market you could get capital gains, but I never invested to just reap capital gains. My last bond I sold in 1997 and it was a 30 year CIBC bond with great interest and I sold it for a good capital gain.

He also talks about baby boomers losing in both the dot-com stock market boom in 1999 and in the stock market in 2007. I did not lose much in either and quickly got back the value of my portfolio because I did not invest in the latest new thing. I looked at the stock being tooted in the dot-com stock market. Not only did these companies not have any earnings, most had no revenues.

My attitude to not investing in the next big thing kept me out of bitcoin and marijuana markets also. I do not regret this. I have talked to a number of people about investing in both. Some have made lots of money and some have lost money. It seems to be the people who got in both these markets at the beginning are the winners. Later invests, not so much.

When I was out to dinner with a club a while ago, one lady, when she heard that I invest asked me about getting into marijuana stock. She has not been investing. She had no experience in investing, but thought it would be a great idea to get into the market to make some money on marijuana stocks. This is precisely how novice investors loss money.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Richelieu Hardware Ltd (TSX-RCH, OTC-RHUHF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about ARC Resources Ltd (TSX-ARX, OTC-AETUF) ... learn more on Friday, February 14, 2020 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment