Tuesday, March 9, 2021

What I Blog About

I have three blogs that are on Google’s Blogger. I also have a website that I have coded. (I used to work in IT.)

One blog is to talk about the books I have read . It is different than most book reviews as I also provide links to other reviews and lectures or interviews that are online. I read mostly history and economic books. I think it gives you a deeper understanding of the subject matter to read what other people think and to hear the author talk about the subject matter of his or her book.

I belong to an online book site called Good Reads . I also publish my reviews there. I sometimes get books free to read and review. Recently I read and reviewed a book called The Money Plot, given to me my Other Press of New York. I also got books from Ben McNally’s breakfast with authors that were held at the King Eddie. I look forward to a future where these will occur again. If you do not know Ben McNally’s Book Shop, I think it is the last great book shop in Toronto.

Another blog I have is mostly short entries about investing and economics. I write some and I also refer to other people’s work that I find interesting. For example, I like the site Advice for Investors by MPL Communications. They often write about stocks and investing and I refer to entries I find interesting or cover of stocks I personally cover. I also like to point out things like when Money Sense publishes it’s Top 100 Dividend stocks each year.

Under this blog I review all my stocks each month and see if the dividends have changed. I do a chart on what stocks have gone up or down the most. I also look at each stock to determine if the current price is reasonable or not by looking at the current dividend yield compared to past dividend yields.

My third blog is my favourite as it is about investing in actual stocks. I go for dividend growth stocks and I try to buy them at a reasonable price. I rather go for a lower dividend yield stock that grows their dividends rather than a high dividend yield stocks that does not grow their dividends.

I follow some 157 stock for my own enjoyment and to keep track of my investments. I have spreadsheets on all stocks I track and with some stocks my data go back 30 or 40 years. Of course, some only go back 10 to 15 years. I write about 3 stocks I cover each week. Because I used to be a technical writer, all the good stuff on the stock is in the first paragraph.

I look at the common aspects of stock such as dividend yield and growth combination, dividend coverage ratios, debt ratios and total return over various periods. I do a number of tests to see if the stock price is currently reasonable or not. I also look and see what various sites and analysts say about this stock.

To determine a reasonable price, I look at historical and 10 year median dividend yields compared to the current dividend yield. I like to see the results of the dividend yield testing confirmed by comparing the 10 year median Price/Sales Ratio to the current P/S Ratio. This is different from what most people look at as mostly people use the Price/Earnings per Share Ratio to determine if the price is reasonable or not.

To help determine how a stock will do in the future, for example will it continue to grow dividends or not, I look at what the stock has done in the past, what it is doing now and what analysts expect in the future. It is not perfect but it generally works. With investing in dividend growth stocks, you do not have right all the time, just most of the time.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Emera Inc (TSX-EMA, OTC-EMRA) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Bombardier Inc (TSX-BBD.B, OTC-BDRBF) ... learn more on Wednesday, March 10, 2021 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment