Friday, July 2, 2021

Dividend Portfolio

I have dividend portfolio. As I have built it up over the years, it has produced more and more dividends. I have always tried to get dividend growth stocks and most were when I purchased them and most of the stocks are dividend growth stocks now. I bought them slowly over time as I had money to do so.

Some I had to discard because times change. I have sold companies I have lost faith in. But I did not sell just because dividends were cut. For example, I bought TransCanada, now TC Energy when it cut its dividend in 2000 because it had a plan and they felt for long term variability of the company, they needed to reorganize. By 2004, this company’s dividend was above the old high.

Also, in my early years of investing, I did diversify into a lot of things. I bought mutual funds and stocks of US and Europe. Some of these did fine, but I realized that my small number of good Canadian Dividend Growth stocks did the best. So, I geared my investing more and more to these sorts of stocks.

I was also influenced by some early bloggers and my reports put out my MPL Communications which sells the Investment Reporter investment letter. The first blogger I followed was Mike Higgs and he had his list of Canadian dividend Growth Stock, many of which I bought or still follow.

As I sold off others stuff, I had bought, I bought more Canadian Dividend Growth stocks. In the end, it was my portfolio of Canadian Dividend Growth Stocks that provided the money for me to stop working at a traditional job in my early 50’s. If I had invested always in Dividend Growth Stocks and not tried all the other stuff, I was reading about that I should have in my portfolio, I could have stopped working a lot sooner.

On my other blog I wrote yesterday about Saputo Inc (TSX-SAP, OTC-SAPIF) ... learn more. Next, I will write about Empire Company Ltd (TSX-EMP.A, OTC-EMLAF) ... learn more on Friday, July 2, 2021 around 5 pm.

This blog is meant for educational purposes only and is not to provide investment advice. Before making any investment decision, you should always do your own research or consult an investment professional. I do research for my own edification and I am willing to share. I write what I think and I may or may not be correct.

See my site for an index to these blog entries and for stocks followed. I have three blogs. The first talks only about specific stocks and is called Investment Talk. The second one contains information on mostly investing and is called Investing Economics Mostly. My last blog is for my book reviews and it is called Non-Fiction Mostly. Follow me on Twitter. I am on Instagram. Or you can just Google #walktoronto spbrunner8166 to see my pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment